Thursday, April 13, 2006

Just like starting over

"Long-time" readers will recall that I tried this last year, but I started at right around the same time the Cubs began to fade for good, and as a result, I quickly lost interest.

New year, new attitude. I've rediscovered, or in some cases just discovered, my sports fandom in the past year or so, and it's time I did the same for the Cubs. They've always been my favorite sports team, since baseball is my favorite sport, but I think not growing up in Chicago stifled my growth as a fan. It was all too easy to simply tune the Cubs out during mediocre or bad seasons, of which there were plenty during my youth; there was never the same suffering as if I lived in Chicago. And since the only local team I followed at the time was the Devils, and since the Bulls were America's Team during their title runs, I got spoiled - the teams I got to watch were teams that won.

2003 changed everything, but it was still my first moment of true suffering in a lifetime of being a fan. And since I haven't been to Wrigley since May of that season, despite living so close since September of 2004, you could argue that I didn't learn anything at all.

No longer. This team drives me crazy in both good and bad senses of the word, and this is, henceforth, a place to get that out, come hell or high water, come the World Series or a 155-game losing streak to end this season. Call it a blog version of an exposure exercise, as my girlfriend would say - I can't keep feeling like writing about the Cubs, one of the few things I really want to do all baseball season, causes them to lose. And I can't keep clogging up my main blog with huge Cubs posts, lest everyone stop showing up. So here goes nothing.

No comments: