Monday, April 17, 2006

Cy Old

Possible alternate title for this entry: "40 and Fabulous." Maddux didn't miss a beat in tonight's start, what with the eight innings of three-hit ball, one run, no walks, and six strikeouts. He gave up a few long outs, but the Dodgers never significantly threatened; the four runs were more than enough, especially with Dempster slamming the door once more. I've decided I need to see Maddux pitch in person at least once this year... and maybe a Maddux jersey. If there's one guy where I wouldn't be thinking, "Well, what if he gets traded or leaves," it would be Maddux. Plus, future Hall of Famer (even if, as I noted in the main blog, he's going in as a Brave).

Even though Pierre hasn't found his hitting touch yet, I love that this team finally has speed. Pierre, Cedeno, Murton, Pagan when healthy, even Lee - finally we're seeing a Dusty Baker team do a good job of manufacturing runs on the basepaths.

Tonight's game lasted 1:59. Under two hours! To say Maddux was locked in would be underestimating it; he threw just 87 pitches in 8 IP. I know fans like to see home runs, but it really is a pleasure watching a game this well-pitched. Anyone who can't appreciate that shouldn't bother with baseball.

The rumor was that the Cubs might bring up Felix Pie to take Pagan's spot in the clubhouse, but it went to David Aardsma instead. I'm fine with that. No need to rush Pie (although can he play right? Jones is now hitting .091), and I'll take all the bullpen assistance the Cubs can bring in.

I'm curious to see how Zambrano does tomorrow. He's certainly looked a bit flaky at times this season, but this Dodgers team has been offensively challenged in recent games. Maybe that'll give him a jump-start.

No comments: