Saturday, October 06, 2007

The worst situational hitting in baseball history

In the regular season, the Cubs hit .271, but hit .281 with men on and .278 with RISP.

In the postseason, I believe - though I'm not looking this up - that they hit .104, and .037 with RISP. Whatever it was, it was terrible.

The Cubs played like it was May all over again. They played like a team that looked demoralized, that couldn't buy a hit or a break, like a team that won 45 of its 85 games against the five other teams from the NL Central. They looked, in a word, pathetic. They gave up 16 runs in three games to a team that averaged less than four and a half in the regular season. They got killed by Chris Young and Stephen Drew, who between them didn't even hit .240. They hit into approximately 74 double plays in three games. They looked abominable. The 1998 team put up more of a fight than this. It made me embarrassed to be a Cubs fan.

In the days or weeks to come, I'll talk about what I want to see from the 2008 team, the team burdened with the responsibility of stopping a century-long World Series drought. But for now I think I'm done with this team for a little bit.

No comments: